Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Spooky Oooky Crafts for Halloween

It's month long Halloween aka OCTOBER! Halloween is the BEST. There's nothing I love more than to run around with the little ones gathering candy, then bailing at the end of the night with a bowl of white chili and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Disney version!) in the VCR.

So of course, I had to make some DIY decorations!

This past month has been a doozy--family emergencies, traveling, weird work schedules, a daughter who thinks she's a hoover vacuum and must eat everything on the floor-- so I really enjoy those moments when I can craft. But it's hard to make huge projects, so I've completed a few that you can get done pretty quick.

It's a pumpkin coaster! This took about 15 minutes and turned out really cute. You could add more rounds and make it a pot holder, or apply it as is onto a headband, shirt, etc for a pumpkin applique. I had to prove it wasn't useless by using it under my hot apple cider mug.
R: Ohhhh no, I don't want to ruin this table, but I need to set down this steaming hot apple cider~. What should I doooo~
G: *Sigh* Use...your coaster.
R: Wow! Thank goodness I just so happened to make one with my CARING, LOVING, CRAFTY hands.
Pumpkin coasters:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crochet-pumpkin-coasters-pdf-pattern

There's something about tiny decorations--I love them. Easy to make, easy to store, and they just seem so dainty. These guys now reside by my candy bowl at work. I made a bunch of the little pumpkins for my friend who used them to adorn her wreath! (Now if she'll share a photo..or should I go to her house and take a picture of her door and leave? Not creepy at all, right?)
Baby pumpkin:
http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2012/08/teeny-tiny-crochet-pumpkin-pattern.html
(I didn't use this pattern but it gives the same result.)
Ghost:
http://www.petalstopicots.com/2013/10/ghost-crochet-pattern/
(I gave him a ruffly bottom by increasing the stitches at the very end.)

You know how insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? Why do I keep making my daughter hats that she WON'T WEAR?? Luckily, they make great gifts to friends who have babies small enough they can't resist obedient enough to wear them for a two second photo shoot.

The ribbing on them makes them super warm, and the yarn I bought for them (I dub it "Ewok Orange") is soooo soft. (It's Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Yarn, by the way.) I finished a couple hats on a road trip because it is worked in rows and you don't REALLY need a pattern!
Punkin Hat:
http://www.favecrafts.com/Crochet-for-Baby/Baby-Pumpkin-Crochet-Beanie

Now when my sewing machine gets here Wednesday, I can start on the biiiig Halloween crafts--the Halloween costumes! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment